Thank you for your interest in adopting a rescued cat. Please read
the information on the Adoption Info
page (in the right hand menu) and make sure you understand the adoption process and the minimum applicant qualifications BEFORE
applying. This application is for adoption of a cat.
General Adoption Applicant Criteria for Cats
Please remember that although our volunteers work with applicants to find a pet suitable to their situation, our primary concern is to find the best home possible for the FOSTER ANIMAL, i.e. we are NOT adopting a cat to the first person who applies. Each application is reviewed on an individual basis and based on our criteria, experience, and knowledge of our foster animals, we use our judgment to choose the best fit for a particular cat from among multiple applications and reserve our right to decline any application.
These rules then are from our experience in placing pets in the best llife-ling homes.
1. The named applicant must be the person who will be the owner and primary caretaker of the cat, i.e. an applicant cannot apply for a cat to give to someone else who lives in a different location. All other residents of the home must be in agreement on adopting the cat.
2. Applicants must provide proof of homeownership or consent from the homeowner/landlord to own a pet.
3. Applicants must be at least 21 years old.*
Any applicant 25 and younger or 70 and over is required to have a co-applicant between those ages willing to commit to care for the animal for the rest of its life if they are unable to.*
As of 2020, ALL applicants must list a co-applicant willing to assume responsibility of the pet should the applicant be unable to do so.
4. Applicants must have vet records showing ALL current and previous pets were given regular and appropriate vet care, including vet exams and vaccinations at least every three years for cats.
PA requires all pet cats to be kept up to date on rabies vaccinations, including indoor-only cats. We also require all indoor pets to be vaccinated for distemper.
All current and previous cats and dogs must have been spayed or neutered unless they are AKC/CFA registered show animals.
5. Our preferred adoption area is within 1 hour's drive from Kennett Square PA 19348 so applicants are able to visit the Cafe or foster homes easily to meet the cats before adopting.
6. Young kittens will only be considered for homes that will take 2 kittens together, already have another young cat, and do not have young children who have not lived with a cat before.
All applicants must agree to pay the adoption donation fee in full at the time of adoption, which
is needed to help recover some of the costs that Treetops Kitty Cafe - Treetops Animal Rescue incurs while rescuing the animal, fostering them, and providing them with medical care, as well as allowing us to continue to rescue other animals.
Please understand that the actual cost to our rescue of caring for a cat until adoption averages $175, so we have to rely on donations to try and fill the gap.
The adoption fee is ONLY refundable if a serious health problem arises within one week of adoption which should have been foreseen by Treetops
rescue while in foster care or while at the Kitty Cafe.
For kittens too young to have been spayed or neutered, a $50 spay/neuter deposit must be paid upon adoption and will be refunded upon sending us documentation of alteration.